A general construction intermediate apprenticeship
If you already work in construction or are just starting your career as an apprentice, this is an opportunity to demonstrate your competence. This apprenticeship training is flexible to suit all fields of general construction operations.
- You must meet a minimum level of English and Maths skills in order to undertake this course.
To be eligible – employees must:
- Be aged 16 years or older
- Have been resident in the UK/EU for at least three years prior to commencing your apprenticeship
- Be employed in England and have a Contract of Employment
- Work for at least 30 hours per week
- Not currently enrolled onto any other apprenticeship, or another DfE funded FE/HE programme
- Meet a minimum level of English and Maths skills in order to undertake this course
Training is arranged to suit you:
The minimum Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the General Construction Intermediate Apprenticeship is 754 hours.
Training takes on average 18 months to complete, however this can be shorter dependent upon whether you have any recognition of prior learning (RPL) or unit/credit exemptions. We will discuss this with you at enrolment.
The course is made up of the following four components:
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Construction Operations
- Level 2 Diploma in Construction Operations - General Construction (Knowledge qualification)
- Functional Skills English and Maths (Level 1)
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights (ERR)
- Conforming to General Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace.
- Conforming to Productive Working Practices in the Workplace.
- Moving, Handling and Storing Resources in the Workplace.
Please choose one unit from optional group B and C:
- Establishing Work Area Protection and Safety in the Workplace (barriers; safety notices; safety lighting)
Group B – one required
- Placing and finishing Non-Specialist Concrete in the Workplace (footings; oversite’s; path’s) OR
- Installing Drainage in the Workplace (foul drainage; surface water; inspection chambers)
Group C – one required
- Reinstating Ground Condition in the Workplace
- Placing and compacting concrete in the Workplace
- Erecting and Dismantling Access/Working Platforms in the Workplace
- Providing Temporary Excavation Support in the Workplace
- Preparing and mixing concrete and mortars in the Workplace
- Reinstating Excavation and Highway Surfaces in the Workplace
- Preparing and Operating Forward Tipping Dumpers to Receive, Transport and Discharge Materials in the Workplace
- Preparing and Operating Ride-on Rollers to Compact Materials in the Workplace
- Preparing to and Directing and Guiding Plant and Plant Operations in the Workplace
- Preparing and Operating Specialised Powered Tools and Equipment in the Workplace
Functional Skills (Level 1)
- Everyday English and Maths to bring skills up to date. This consists of teaching, three tests and two practical assignments.
Functional Skills English and Maths (Level 2)
- Must be attempted before completion of the apprenticeship although this does not have to be achieved to complete the apprenticeship.
Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Nine standards of attainment relating to employment.