An intermediate apprenticeship in Trowel Occupations (Construction)
This qualification is for learners who work or want to work as bricklayers or craft masons in the construction sector. It allows learners to learn, develop and practise the skills required for employment and/or career progression in bricklaying or craft masonry.
The bricklaying pathway covers areas such as working on a construction site, setting out basic structures, building brick and block walling, laying domestic drainage, placing and finishing concrete and render surfaces. The craft masonry pathway covers areas such as working to given specifications, setting out and erecting masonry structures, placing and finishing concrete and render surfaces.
If an employee already works in construction or are just starting their career as an apprentice, this is an opportunity to demonstrate their competence.
You must meet a minimum level of English and Maths skills in order to undertake this course.
To be eligible – employees must:
- Be aged 16 years or older
- Have been resident in the UK/EU for at least three years prior to commencing your apprenticeship
- Be employed in England and have a Contract of Employment
- Work for at least 30 hours per week
- Not currently enrolled onto any other apprenticeship, or another DfE funded FE/HE programme
- Meet a minimum level of English and Maths skills in order to undertake this course
Training is arranged to suit your business needs:
The minimum Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the intermediate apprenticeship in Trowel Occupations (Construction) Apprenticeship is 828 hours.
Training takes on average 18 months to complete, however this can be shorter dependent upon whether the employee has any recognition of prior learning (RPL) or unit/credit exemptions. We will discuss this with your staff at enrolment.
The course is made up of the following four components:
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Trowel Occupations (Construction)
- Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying
- Functional Skills English and Maths (Level 1)
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights (ERR)
- Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace
- Conforming to productive working practices in the workplace
- Erecting masonry structures in the workplace
- Moving, handling and storing resources in the workplace
- Setting out masonry structures in the workplace
Optional Units (Must choose 1)
- Erecting masonry cladding in the workplace
- Erecting thin joint masonry structures in the workplace
- Maintaining slate and tile roofing in the workplace
- Producing external solid render finishes in the workplace
- Producing internal solid plastering finishes in the workplace
- Repairing and maintaining masonry structures in the workplace
- Placing and finishing non-specialist concrete in the workplace
- Installing drainage in the workplace
Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying
- Five mandatory units.
Functional Skills (Level 1)
- Everyday English and Maths to bring skills up to date. This consists of teaching, three tests and two practical assignments.
Functional Skills English and Maths (Level 2)
- Must be attempted before completion of the apprenticeship although this does not have to be achieved to complete the apprenticeship.
Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Nine standards of attainment relating to employment.